Objectives of the project
- Strengthen the interconnection and extension of existing experimental facilities across continental boundaries with a specific focus on Smart Cities and Smart Energy;
- Integration of software-based cross-industry horizontal M2M frameworks with real world sensors and IoT device deployments;
- Usage of autonomic communication methods for end-to-end M2M communication in Smart Cities focusing on smart energy management;
- Combine delay tolerant communication with crowd-sensing approaches to support opportunistic information transmission;
- Leverage existing standards in the field of M2M (ETSI TC M2M and oneM2M) and foster their global adoption;
- Deployment and federation of testbeds across countries and continents, with a focus on underdeveloped countries and structurally challenged areas.
The above objectives imply several interesting research challenges, requiring advanced approaches. TRESCIMO will utilize experiences gained in the implementation of machine-to-machine platforms, experiments with DTN and deployments of smart energy technology in South Africa in order to realize an integrated system solving the issues mentioned in the problem statement.